Friday, October 30, 2015

Gilding the Lily..October Mood Board Challenge

 Welcome to the Dusty Attic October Mood Board Challenge. It amazes me, what just a few colors can do to a project. My inspiration from the Mood Board came from the words..Glow and Heaven..and the color Gold. I added the darker blue for a bit of contrast. I was going for a gilded frame look again. I achieved it using the larger piece in the Garden Frame set. I also wanted it to look like the frame was carved out of the background and that was easy to achieve. See closeups below. To prepare my background, I mounted white card stock onto a piece of corrugated cardboard, then I painted the whole paper with Dusty In Colour Mountain Meadow and let it dry completely.


In order to get the feel that the chipboard was a wooden inlay, I coated the back of the frame chipboard  with a layer of texture paste.  Not to thin, but not to thick. I laid the chipboard onto the background and pressed down gently until the texture paste squeezed out the sides a teeny bit and I let it dry. Then I painted it with Mountain meadow.


Once it was entirely dry, I used the Mountain meadow and sealed the edges of the chipboard by brushing the paint into the edges of the chipboard paying special attention to the nooks and crannies, until you could not see texture paste or the edges of the chipboard.


This made it look like the chipboard was carved out of the background.  Once I was satisfied that all of the edges were totally sealed, I placed the Dusty Attic Fan stencil in the middle and lightly sprayed the entire layout with Lindy's Stamp Gang Glory of the Seas Gold. Then using a gold wax medium, I rubbed it over the chipboard until I got the coverage I wanted.


I painted my printed dragonflies with a bit of the Mountain Meadows paint watered down with water. Using it full strength, I rubbed it on the edges of the paper layers under the photo. I used gold on the photo.At the very end of my post, I added a file of the dragonflies I created. Feel free to save it to your computer to print them out yourself. I used 2 of the same size, just cut out the wings of one of them and layered it onto the whole one. Lift the wings for dimension. I ran out of vellum, but imagine the top layer in velum!!

 

 I also rubbed the gold wax medium onto the word disks. I gave it a couple of coats and they looked like metal pieces. I used Rub'n Buff.


I tucked the Dusty in Bloom flowers under the photo layers and I layered some of them on my die cut flowers.

I simply love dragonflies!! And everything Dusty Attic!!  Thank you for joining me this month at Dusty Attic. I hope you were inspired to try a new technique and follow the mood board!! 










Dusty In Bloom Smokey Blue






No comments: