Friday, September 2, 2011

Postage Stamp Paper Background

I was inspired by Spellbinders new Postage Stamp Nesting Dies. They are so cute!! Becca Feekin (my fave cardmaker) uses them so creatively. I wanted to create a larger scale for background paper for a 12 x 12 inch layout. You know how I love Diecut papers. Then I noticed Gabrielle Pollaco (whose work is always beyond beautiful) had matted her Webster Postage Stamp Die Cut paper. I love the effect when matted.This one would be hard to make a template because the ready made postage edge papers are 12 x 12, so they cant be matted unless you piece it like Gabi explains how she does it. So I devised a way to do it so that you can create any size you wish and still have a 12 x 12 layout if you cut down your pattern paper. Voila!!
So here is my tute on creating the look without having to piece your mat.

Product List:

1 piece of 12 x 12 patterned paper
1 piece of 12 x 12 solid card stock in a coordinating color
Paper trimmer or (ruler and craft knife)
small cutting scissors
marking pen or pencil
1/2 inch circle punch
adhesive of your choice. I use my ATG Gun









If you are going to do a 12 x 12 layout, then cut your patterned paper 1/4 inch smaller around than your solid card stock. So cut it down to 11 1/2 x 11 1/2. That will give you a 1/4 inch mat border.Leave your card stock 12 x 12.





Turn your pattern paper over to the wrong side and starting in the middle of the edge, mark a small dot. Then mark a dot in 1 inch increments almost to the edge. You can see there is room for another dot, but you don't want to go to the end. There is about 1 1.2 inches between the last dot and the corner end.






I turned my circle punch over and using permanent marker, marked 4 lines inside my punch to divide into quarters, That made it easy to measure the semi circles I cut out easily. Line up your marks and punch half circles out. Move to the next dot, and continue punching all around the page until all the dots are punched.





Adhere your pattern paper over your solid card stock. Using your scissors, hand cut inside the punched circles,1/4 inch away from the edges of the half circles.




Your page should look like this. A beautiful large postage stamp.




I hope you enjoy creating with this shape!!
Thank You to Spellbinders and Gabi for the inspiration!!

7 comments:

  1. Dang, Girl, you're fast! & really, really good! LOL! Thanks so much for taking the brain work out of it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so cool Lisa! I was wondering how she did that!! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fabulous.. thanks for sharing!! i am sure we will see a lot of papers with this edge now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a seriously fantastic (creative!) tutorial, thank you very much for sharing this (I'm booking marking it right this very moment!).


    Wishing you a gorgeous Sunday, sweet gal!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the best, Lisa. Really cool effect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw this not to long ago and couldn't figure out how she did this... it is sooooo cool! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your beautiful words!!!!