Thursday, January 6, 2011

FAUX SCRABBLE LETTERS TUTORIAL


This is just a quick way to make some faux scrabble letters. if you print it out letter size without fitting to page on your printer, each tile is 1 inch. You could also print out on a 5 x 7 card stock and get a smaller letter. Either way, these are so cute!! I created these when I couldn't find my tiny scrabble letters when I was making my Configurations box. I wanted to spell the word "SEW". This is what I came up with. Here are the files for the letters. I print the letters on heavy weight card stock.




~~~Product List~~~

Chip Board or Grunge board
Glossy Accents or Glossy medium like Mod Podge
Brayer
Glue
Foam paint brush
Black Ink
small paint brush
Ruler
paper cutter or craft knife


Cut the Strips of tiles apart lengthwise.

Cut your chip board the same width as the strips of scrabble tiles. They should be 1 inch.


Spread some glue on the back of the strips of letters and spread evenly to the edges using a foam brush.

Place the strip of letters over the chip board and use a brayer to flatten completely letting any air bubbles out. If you don't have a brayer, you can use a bone folder to do the same.

Once the strip is dry, cut the letters apart and ink the edges.
Using a small paint brush, paint on the glossy accents evenly onto each tile.
You can use Pop Dots to pop the letters off the page as I did in the top picture and really give them dimension. The letters are really cute and would look great on your guy pages!! I used them in my configurations box, just created a little pop up stand in back of each letter here. I hope you use these in your projects. I would love to see what you do!!
You can use Pop Dots to pop the letters off the page and really give them dimension. The letters are really cute and would look great on your guy pages!! I hope you use these in your projects.

30 comments:

  1. How completely awesome is this?! Thank you! I'll be looking forward to trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I will use this for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just perfect - will definitely be buying cork at the weekend :O). Thanks for sharing your technique Polly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tutorials are always amazing! This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the tutorial, Lisa! It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing these letters. They're perfect for using on greeting cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic tutorial as always! Thank you so much for this x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome tutorial Lisa!! What a great idea and thank you for sharing!! :) hugs... Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! This tute is so awesome.. definitely gonna have to give these a try.. you've made so many awesome tutes, that I can't keep up...LOL
    Hugs
    Nanné
    p.s. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be trying this soon. I love scrabble letters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love these! Great tutorial and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGOSH I loveee this Lisa!!! Thank you sooo much I really love
    using scrabble tiles this is sooo awesome!!
    hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, it is more than perfect! You are very generous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How simple is that I really like that idea, thnaks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so simple thanks, I really the idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much Lisa, your tutorials are AWESOME!! I'm not very computer wise...can you please tell me how to print these out, I tried but they came out blury, what did I do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these "fake" scrabble letters...thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa,
    Love these scrabble letters. I have been looking these type letters for my configeration box. Did you just use cardstock or some other kind of paper?
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. This so cool. Thanks for sharring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just found your tutorial from Tracy M's blog and this is FANTASTIC!!! I've seen other techniquess but this has got to be the coolest and most realistic. Thank you so much for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Just what I was looking for. I absolutely love your tiles. I can't seem to figure out how to download the tile files. I would love to know how. Hope someone knows and can tell me. CAN'T wait to make these game pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I print these out, they're really grainy, pixelized... Did I miss a document download? I just copied the image and saved it and printed it...

    ReplyDelete
  23. THANKU SOOO MUCH LISA! <3

    I've been searching every corner of the net for something like your tutorial on making your own scrabble tiles. Everyone seems to be selling them but they're just not the right size for what I need. This is truly a god send and now I can put my ideas from paper into practise! Much love xP xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Where do we download the scrabble tiles from?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these printable tiles - thank you. However, i need some blanks. Any way to come up with some blanks? Please? :)
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just came across this tutorial and I love it! The slightly used look of the Scrabble tiles makes this very convincing. However, what do you mean by Pop Dots? Can you help me out?

    ReplyDelete
  27. scrabble word finder
    Nice articles. Thanks For Sharing a very Nice Informative Details. Keep doing it

    Thank you for your blog post. Really Cool.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your beautiful words!!!!